Thursday, March 13, 2014

Kicking off 30 with a blog



I turned 30 this month.  Along with the thoughts of “Man, I’m getting old” and “Where did the time go,” I realized something.  Jesus the Christ was 30 when he began his earthly ministry.

Sure, I’m a responsible adult, but many times I still feel like I should be 18.  I’m busy juggling things like a career, a mortgage, a car payment, and taming our unruly kids (they’re not really unruly, but you know what I mean). I couldn’t imagine being faced with the task of conquering the world’s sin at the age of 30. Of course, Jesus was and is deity, but the fact still remains that he was part human. He experienced the same emotions as we do.  This is evident in Gethsemane when he implored that the Father let the cup of his crucifixion pass from him.

With my 30th birthday and the thought of Jesus being the same age when he began his mission to seek and save the lost, I’ve realized that I need to do a whole lot more in service to him.  If he could set out on the path to the cross at this age, I can surely walk the much easier path of spreading the message of his kingdom.  Hence, the birth of this blog.  I intend to carry this blog from age 30 to age 33, which is how old Jesus was when he was crucified.

I’d like to talk about common misconceptions in the religious world, share my thoughts about different religious topics, invite guest speakers to share thoughts, and basically focus on all things spiritual.  I hope no one takes any offense to what I say, as I’m sharing my thoughts out of love and concern.  Thanks for your interest in my spiritual journey – three years from thirty-three!